We used to eat at one of Indonesian restaurant at Haymarket. My husband loved their Ayam Penyet, simply because of the chilli relish. But then, the owner sold their restaurant and the taste of their dish changes slightly. Their service changes dramatically. When you order, the waiter will ask you whether you want the thigh or breast. We ordered thigh, but then received the breast instead. We asked them, and received a disappointed statement. They said that it was our fault and they clearly heard that we ordered breast, and my husband convinced them since he never ever ordered breast before. Anyway, since then he never go back.
To satisfy his craving, I tried to make the chilli myself. I remembered my mom used to make this when she was visiting few years ago. The recipe is pretty simple anyway. So far, he loves it. When I made this chilli relish, I put it in the jar and store it in the fridge They could last for few weeks, but they never last that long in our fridge
- Grilled Chicken/Fried Chicken
- 1 small to medium size onion, peel
- 250 gr red chillies
- 20-30 small red chillies (more or less depending on your preference)
- 30 gr garlic, peel
- 60 gr shallot, peel
- 3 small to medium size tomatoes
- 25 gr terasi (shrimp block, you can get from Indonesian groceries), grilled on the pan for few minutes until the colour changed
- lime leaves
- lime juice
- sugar to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in the wok.
- Do not cut or dice anything. Add onion, chillies, garlic, shallots, tomatoes to the wok. Stir fry them until they soften and changed in colours for about 15 minutes or so.
- Using a hand held blender, blend everything plus the terasi until puree.
- Then add sugar, salt and lime juices. Add them a little at the time and adjust the taste.
- Cut the lime leaves into tiny pieces straight into the puree mixture.
Culinary tradition: Indonesian
Please leave your comment/suggestion if you find this recipe useful. Can’t wait to hear from you and Thank You !!!