Ayam Goreng Mentega
I think I cook chicken at least 3 to 4 times a week. I prefer chicken than beef or pork, and so is my boy. I try my best not to cook them in the same style though. One of our favorite chicken dish is Ayam Goreng Mentega. It literally means fried chicken in butter, however the margarine is used instead. Funny, it should be called Ayam Goreng Margarin. The dish is popular with using “Blue Band” brand margarine. This brand is so popular that people spread them in their bread, fried their egg or omelet, cooking their fried rice, baking a cake, you name it. It is a staple ingredient in most of Indonesian kitchens.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into small pieces (or you could use drumsticks or wings)
- 1 lime to marinate the chicken
- salt to marinate the chicken
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into wedges, deep fried
- 1 tbsp of mince garlic
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 3 tbsp Kecap Inggris (According to the web, it is similar to Worcestershire sauce. I never use one before)
- 6 tbsp Kecap Manis (add more or less)
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- 2 tbsp of margarine (I used Blue Band brand)
- Marinate chicken pieces with lime juice and salt. Leave for at least 15 minutes.
- Deep fried the chicken.
- Heat the wok. Add in margarine.
- When melted, add in garlic and shallots and stir until fragrant for about 2 minutes.
- Add Kecap Inggris, Kecap Manis, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Add in fried chickens and potatoes. Stir to coat evenly. More Kecap Manis can be added.
- Serve with warm rice.
Culinary tradition: Indonesian
Please leave your comment/suggestion if you find this recipe useful. Can’t wait to hear from you and Thank You !!!